Ranch Operations Manager Needed at MT Bison Ranch
Double T Bison Ranch
The Double T Ranch near Babb, MT is an bison exclusive ranch maintaining approximately 850 mother cows grazing on 9,000 plus acres. In addition to the cow herd, the Double T Ranch operates bison backgrounding/feed and grow facilities with capacities of up to 2,500 animals. The Ranch Operations Manager (ROM) is responsible for overseeing all aspects of an integrated bison cow/calf and feed & grow operation. The ROM is required to work on the property year-round and is responsible for ensuring all facilities, grounds and equipment are well-maintained, clean and organized. The ROM will manage livestock grazing, livestock feeding, lease relationships, water rights, water development, vendors, government affairs, supervise ranch employees and contractors, is be responsible for pasture management, supplemental feed sourcing, transportation, regulatory oversight, and care and health of all livestock. The ROM reports to the Director of Livestock working alongside Veterinarians, Consultants, Regulatory Agencies, Office Support Staff and Vendors to assure optimal animal care, traceability, health and performance of all livestock and facilities.
Primary Responsibilities and Scope:
• Provide effective leadership and management of all ranch employees and contractors.
• Develop and manage annual ranch budget.
• Oversee all vendor related relationships.
• Report of weekly and monthly livestock related activities including but not limited to animal health, weather conditions, facility conditions, forage and feed consumption.
• Ensure safety and security of all assets including employees, equipment, forage, feed and animal inventories.
• Make good, independent decisions based on experience and judgements.
• Maintain and improve Individual Bison Identification System (I.B.I.S.).
• Assure effective management of livestock-related relationships such as contracted operations, Veterinarians, Animal Nutritionists, Forage Suppliers, Feed Suppliers, Livestock Carriers, Animal Suppliers, etc.
• Facilitate paperwork and information flow for all animal inbound/outbound movements relating to activities such as purchase contracts, import/export requirements, relocations, and harvest loads.
• Oversee herd grazing rotation, animal handling schedule, maintenance and capital projects.
• Work in variable weather conditions, at remote locations, on difficult and hazardous terrain and under physically demanding circumstances.
• Work hours may vary with possible evening, weekend, or holiday work required depending on the season and associated work duties.
• Maximize breeding rats, weaning rates and minimize death loss.
• Seek out and implement training opportunities.
• Attend and participate in Bison Industry Associations events as needed and as appropriate.
Skills and Qualifications
• Knowledge of current trends and practices in land management including planned livestock grazing, noxious weed management, water rights, easements and fire mitigation.
• Practical experience in natural livestock management and care. Knowledge of natural, hormone free and antibiotic free grain finishing principles is highly desirable.
• Ability to manage and complete diverse tasks independently with respect to timelines and budgets.
• A minimum of five years’ experience supervising ranch staff.
• BS in Animal Science preferred.
• Good written and verbal communication skills.
• Experience with overseeing the health of livestock including all aspects of animal husbandry.
• Strong desire to be part of a dynamic, entrepreneurial work environment.
• Strong interpersonal skills and communication abilities including excellent writing and computer skills, including Excel.
• Strong organizational abilities, time management skills, people skills and ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects.
• Ability to work well independently, as a member of a high functioning team and developing effective working relationships with people from a variety of backgrounds.
• Ability to work well under pressure.
• Energetic, dynamic and engaging personality.
• Must live on the ranch and able to work a variable work schedule, which includes work on weekends and holidays.
• Must be have valid driver’s license and experience operating various types of equipment and machinery (trucks, tractors, ATV/UTVs, mowers, generators, pumps, etc.).
• The Ranch Operations Manager is a full-time, year round, exempt position. Starting salary is commensurate with experience.
• Position based on ranching operation near Babb, MT.
PLEASE SEND RESUME TO GHELD@HUGOLLC.COM