Wrangler/ Ranch Hand Position Available
Palisade Ranch at Gateway Canyons Resort and Spa
Palisade Ranch at Gateway Canyons Resort and Spa is looking for professional men and women to join our summer wrangler team. An ideal candidate would be an accomplished rider, love speaking with people from a variety of backgrounds, and be ready and willing to pitch in with all ranch maintenance necessary to keep our small ranch running smoothly.
We are a 500-acre recreational ranch associated with a four-star resort. We manage 30-35 head of horses, a small herd of longhorn cross cattle, and 40 acres of flood irrigated hay meadows. Look through our list of desired skills and apply if you think you would be an asset to our team. Applicants should be willing and able to send a riding video or complete an in person riding evaluation. Our season runs from mid March through October.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Excellent horsemanship skills
• Assist in general care of livestock: basic veterinary skills, feed and water stock, stall cleanup.
• General and basic upkeep/repair of facilities
• Drive/operate manual transmission truck and trailer, general farm equipment.
• Valid drivers license.
• Able to catch, saddle and bridle horses without supervision.
• Experience in hitching, harnessing and driving single horses and teams without assistance.
• Experience with cattle in both an arena and pasture setting.
• Ability to teach others stockman-ship and how to handle cattle as well as horsemanship skills.
• Ability to lift 50 pounds (saddles, grain bags, fence panels etc.)
• Knowledge of activities and amenities of Gateway Canyons
• Maintain complete knowledge of and comply with all departmental policies/service procedures/standards.
• Maintain complete knowledge of correct maintenance and use of equipment. Use equipment only as intended.
• Anticipate guests’ needs, respond promptly and acknowledge all guests, however busy and whatever time of day.
• Maintain positive guest relations at all times.
• Resolve guest complaints, ensuring guest satisfaction.
• Monitor and maintain cleanliness, sanitation and organization of assigned work areas.
• Other duties as reasonably requested
Job involves working:
• Under variable temperature conditions (or extreme heat or cold)
• Under variable noise levels
• Around fumes and/or odor hazards, chemicals
• Around dust and/or mite hazards
• In close proximity to livestock
• High school graduate or equivalent
• Driver’s license
• Fluency in English both verbal and non-verbal
• Provide legible communication and directions
• Compute basic mathematical calculations (add, subtract, multiply and divide numbers)