Bar 17 Ranch & Arena
We are a family run cattle ranch looking for a mature, full-time Assistant Ranch Manager in Lampasas, TX. The ideal candidate is congenial, experienced and hard working. Must also be self-motivated to work productively alone, or with others, and have experience in managing cattle. Proficiency is also needed in maintaining ranch equipment and the overall grounds. A unique feature of our operation is that we have a full-service, covered rodeo arena that we rent out to the public and this helps drive our purpose and must be enthusiastically supported.
Job Title: Assistant Ranch Manger (full-time; or part-time to full-time)
Reports to: General Manager
Position Overview: Daily feed and care for livestock, maintain property (incl. equipment, vehicles and physical facilities), aid in ranch improvement projects and support arena activities. Prefer a non-smoker that has 5 plus years of experience as ranch hand or cattle manager.
5 Key Areas of Responsibility
- Manage Livestock (35%) Examples: Daily feed and manage 100-150+ head of cattle (depending on calves) and 10+ horses (as needed). Aid in the following: calving, castration, vaccinations, ear tagging, branding, taking blood samples, hauling cattle, animal husbandry procedures.
- Maintain Property (20%) Examples: Assist in inspecting ranch structures such as buildings, fences, troughs, or roads, and maintain or make repairs. Help service and maintain tractors, mowers, rangers, skid steer, other power equipment.
- Ranch Improvement Projects (20%) Examples: Aid in fence work, mowing, weed eating, tree trimming, road repair, weed spraying, pasture aerating, tree cutting and spraying, painting, trough/waterline repair, horse stall plumbing work.
- Operate Machinery efficiently and safely (15%) Examples: Be able to operate ranch equipment, such as: tractors (be able to hook-up/detach implements), skid steer, chain saw, blower, use zero-turn mower, weed eater and haul/tow with trucks or rangers.
- Support Arena Activities (10%) Examples: Assist with the following: watering and dragging arena floor, panel set-up, tagging cattle, power spraying, cleaning stalls and offices, supporting events and participants. – Note that arena events often occur on Friday afternoon/evenings and Saturdays during day time.
Integrity; Beef cow/calf production experience; Welding ability a plus; Self-starter; Excellent communication skills; Farrier experience a plus; Mechanical; Reliable/Hard-worker; Plumbing ability
Education: High School Diploma or GED. Prefer a bachelor degree in animal science or a comparable AG field of study. (On the job experience which equates knowledge gained through formal education will be considered.)
Must have a valid driver’s license in good standing. Be able to safely operate vehicles, mowers, tractors, skid steer and other motorized ranch equipment as needed.
Experience: Prefer 5 years work experience with cattle and ranch management. Must be able to safely
operate equipment safely and physically able to climb or jump fences/corrals as needed.
Other job duties: Assist with other duties for the good of our clients, co-workers or the ranch. Be teachable and continuously improve ranch skills. Strive to effectively support and communicate with owners, ranch staff and customers.
Introduction period: There is a 60-day employment probationary period.
Job Location & Work Conditions: Ranching operation located in Lampasas, Texas. Work is performed outdoors in various locations on the ranch. Exposure to all temperature and weather extremes (i.e. heat, rain, wind, cold and dusty conditions), moving equipment, loud noises, dust, fumes and requires riding/walking on uneven surfaces. Required to lift, push, pull the equivalent of 50+ pounds on a regular basis (i.e. feed bags, hay bales). There will be some conditions that may require overtime work on weekends, evenings or holidays (I.e. feeding, doctoring livestock and/or supporting arena events). Some local travel may be required.
NOTE: The specific statements shown in the aforementioned job description are not intended to be all-inclusive, but represent typical elements and criteria considered necessary to successfully perform the job.
Past Arena & Ranch Events: 2017 Lampasas Riata (town rodeo), hosted ten 4H Open Shows, hosted TX Lacy Dog Assoc. Fun Days 4 times, Cutting Futurity practice, hosted 40+ Team Pennings, 3 Circuses, Church & Boy Scout Campouts, Horse Clinics, Church Youth Conferences, Corporate & Military Retreats, Colt Breaking Clinic, Mini-donkey & Mule shows.
To apply, forward bio & resume to our email address.
Company Web-site: www.Bar17Arena.com
To apply, forward bio & resume to our email address. Or call for more info.