Kings River Land & Cattle
About the Position
We are looking for a self-motivated Ranch Assistant Manager seeking long-term employment who can assist the day to day operation and maintenance of the ranch. This position will provide a stable and long-term environment for those willing to apply themselves.
The ranch is currently mid-transition from a commercial cow-calf operation to pasture-based beef production and finishing operation; with the possibility of producing other pastured proteins as well. The qualified candidate will be expected to assist in management of the ranch in a regenerative manner, utilizing adaptive grazing principles and practices, with a distinct focus on developing soil fertility and protecting the watershed.
Employment will be full-time and require regular outdoor and physical labor regardless of weather conditions with some work expected on weekends.
Position will require the ability to perform tasks without direct oversite supervision, while maintaining a high degree of productivity.
Must be flexible with work schedule, as this is not a typical 8 – 5 position.
The position includes a full-time residence for the Assistant Manager.
Characteristics that support your success:
The Assistant Manager duties will be to assist in the daily ranch tasks including (but not limited to) feeding livestock, moving cattle to new pastures, extensive building and repairing of fencing, assisting with calving, general cattle care ability/doctoring, running and maintaining heavy farm equipment, hauling hay to necessary pastures, various project work including land clearing, brush hogging, cutting, raking and baling hay seasonally, spraying, mowing yards/pastures etc.
Who we are looking for:
- Qualifications required for your success
- Duties would include being competent in all aspects of a cattle growing, from cattle health to feeding, facility, and equipment maintenance. Basic animal health and ability to recognize & treat sick cattle (including cows and calves)
- Cattle handling skills are a must with an emphasis on low-stress handling – if not properly trained in low-stress handling, training will be provided
- Extensive building of new fencing infrastructure to enable adaptive grazing management (both hard barbed, electric high tensile permanent and temporary electric)
- Daily checks of fences and gates for proper working order
- Maintain and repair fencing, buildings, structures and roads
- Keep equipment operating by following operating instructions, maintaining safe speeds (conducive to equipment staying in good condition), troubleshooting equipment breakdowns, and performing preventive maintenance
- Repair mechanical equipment as capabilities allow
- Maintain cleanliness, appearance and organization of ranch houses, yards, ranch barns, pastures, ranch vehicles, and equipment
- Basic carpentry and construction
- Basic computer skills
- Maintain integrity of pastures and land
- Maintain a culture of safety
- Assist owners in maintenance and cleaning of homes and other buildings on the property as may be requested, including mowing yards surrounding homes
- Assist owners as may be requested including purchasing items that may be required for owners’ personal use
- Regular communication and meetings with Ranch Manager
- Other duties as directed by the owner or owners’ representative
- Keep property at family and guest ready level at all times
- Professionally represent the ranch at all times, both on and off ranch
- Ability to work well independently as with others
- Excellent time management and communication skills
- Collaborate on developing and executing weekly work plan; report on progress and blockers during daily/weekly staff meetings to assess and adjust, alert manager to blockers in progress as necessary
- Is a self-starter with strong work ethic and positive attitude
- Assists wherever needed to help with ranch operations – including special events and times when family and guests are involved
Additional helpful experience includes:
- Knowledge of plumbing and livestock water systems
- Mechanic skills and equipment/tractor repair
- Ability to weld
- Knowledge of software for cattle record keeping and pasture grazing management.
- Knowledge with maintaining roadways, farm equipment/machinery; including tractors, trucks, UTVs, mowers
- Knowledge of adaptive grazing principles
- Competitive wages and benefits package
- Work-sponsored housing located on the ranch in private, newly renovated home
- Work-sponsored truck available for use within the scope of employment
To apply, forward bio & resume to our email address.
Email Address Hidden