Chinook Bison Ranch
The Chinook Bison Ranch near Tompkins, SK, Canada is a bison exclusive ranch maintaining approximately 1,300 mother cows grazing on 18,000 plus acres. In addition to the cow herd, the Chinook Bison Ranch operates bison backgrounding/feed and grow facilities with capacities of up to 2,500 animals. The Chinook Bison Ranch is seeking to fill the position of Bison Lead Ranch Technician – Cow/Calf (BLRT) who reports directly to the Director of Ranch Operations (DRO). The BLRT is required to work on the property year-round.
Primary Responsibilities and Scope:
• Plans, supervises, and performs all phases of daily bison cow/calf ranching activities including task scheduling, pasture management, forage production, animal feeding, animal processing, animal health and performance monitoring, facility and equipment maintenance, and vendor coordination.
• Assures tactical activities are completed skillfully, efficiently and on schedule.
• Prioritizes and oversees day-to-day tactical activities assuring company protocols and objectives are achieved.
• Report of daily livestock related activities including but not limited to animal health, weather conditions, facility conditions, forage and feed consumption.
• Ensure safety and security of all assets including team members, equipment, forage, feed and animal inventories.
• Make good, independent decisions based on experience and judgements.
• Assist with feed & grow operation activities as required.
• Assist DRO with mobilizing and monitoring hay production and pellet supply ordering.
• Assist DRO with animal movement scheduling, selection and records.
• Assist DRO with oversite of herd grazing rotation, animal handling schedule, maintenance and capital projects.
• Work in variable weather conditions, at remote locations, on difficult and hazardous terrain and under physically demanding circumstances.
• Work hours may vary with possible evening, weekend, or holiday work required depending on the season and associated work duties.
Skills and Qualifications:
• Have knowledge or willingness to learn natural livestock husbandry techniques.
• A minimum of five years’ experience working in a livestock ranch environment.
• Strong desire to be part of a dynamic, entrepreneurial work environment.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• Must be proficient using Microsoft Office (Excel, Work, Outlook).
• Ability to work well independently, as a member of a high functioning team and developing effective working relationships with people from a variety of backgrounds.
• Ability to work well under pressure.
• Ability to lift 50+ pounds.
• Energetic, dynamic and engaging personality.
• Must have valid driver’s license and experience operating various types of equipment and machinery (trucks, tractors, ATV/UTVs, mowers, generators, pumps, etc.). CDL a plus.
• Must have general equipment maintenance and repair experience. Welding experience a plus.
• The Lead Ranch Technician is a full-time, year-round, exempt position. Starting salary is commensurate with experience.
Email resume or thorough letter of interest to [email protected]
or mail to:
Double T Bison Ranch
Attn: Ranch Technician Position
1395 S. Platte River Drive
Denver, CO 80223
Email Address Hidden
Phone Number Hidden