REDCO – Rosebud Farm Company
COMPANY: REDCO – Rosebud Farm Company
POSITION: Buffalo Range Manager
REPORT: Agricultural Manager and Planner
Manages, oversees, and stocks, a herd of over 1,500 bison on 27,000 acres at Mustang Meadows. Responsible for developing, implementing, and assessing a range management plan, and overseeing all business operations.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY:
The Range Manager utilizes expertise and best agriculture and land management practices to direct day-to-day operations of the Wolakota Buffalo Range in order to meet identified cultural, environmental, and revenue goals. The Range Manager will supervise full and part time employees as necessary.
- Ability to effectively lead and motivate a team in the direction of the outlined mission
- Coordinates and implements bison management activities, including the preparations for future growth, as outlined in the Wolakota Buffalo Range Business Plan
- Communicates with Assistant Bison Range Manager on daily assessments of the health of the bison herd and surrounding ecosystems, updating database and taking copious notes
- Stays current on the latest research and best practices of bison management and planned grazing
- Monitors the effectiveness of implemented bison management strategies to ensure cultural targets and goals are being met.
- Assists in the recruitment, hiring, and training of Range employees, and effectively manages personnel schedules and conflicts.
- Communicates with Assistant Bison Range Manager to ensure infrastructure, equipment, and tools are in good working order and assists performing maintenance as necessary on including but not limited to wells, fencing, corrals, roads, trucks, ATVs, and tractors.
- Maintains regular and effective communication with supervisor and other relevant parties on progress, budget, opportunities, and risks
- Purchases supplies, equipment, and contracts for necessary operations, meticulously tracking expenses and managing the annual budget
- Engages with contractors on large-scale projects such as fence tear-out and installation, well fixes, and housing upgrades
- Builds relationships with potential customers and wholesale buyers
- Maintains strong partner relationships through regular and open communication
Other duties as required or assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in agricultural, horticultural, land or animal management, agronomy or related subject preferred
- Minimum five years of applicable experience
- Commitment to low-stress handling and 100% grass-fed operations
- Valid Driver’s License and reliable transportation, with CDL preferred
- Willingness to learn Indigenous plains culture specific to bison handling and management
- Willingness to learn Native grassland restoration methodology and practices.
- Appreciation and respect for Lakota knowledge, lifeways, and culture
- Demonstrated ability to operate small farm machinery
- Strong written communication skills
- Ability to effectively manage a small team
- Strong workplace ethic and values
- Willingness to work in a remote location, willingness to live on-site in upgraded housing preferred
Salary range between $55,000-$65,000 based on education, qualifications, and experience. The position is classified as Farmers, Ranchers, and Other Agricultural Managers according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics wage scale and is competitive with other regional positions.
Must be able to pass a drug test.
Email Address Hidden
Phone Number Hidden