Poteet Cattle Company
Looking for ranch manager for 1600+ acre ranch located near Athens, Texas. We are a commercial cow/calf and stocker operation and typically run up to 450 mother cows and background all of our calves. Our cow herd is primarily comprised of a fall calving Angus herd and a spring calving Brangus herd. Our goal is to produce top quality replacement females that will be a productive, easy fleshing animal in either our cowherd or someone else’s. We do this by using synchronization and an extensive A.I. program, utilizing some of the top sires in the industry.
A ranch manager will be knowledgeable in animal husbandry and practice low stress cattle handling techniques and follow BQA guidelines. The individual should also possess handyman skills, and also equipment repair and general ranch maintenance skills. Housing provided on the ranch. Position is available for immediate start.
Responsibilities and skills needed include:
- Must be knowledgeable in herd health and nutrition at all stages of production.
- Tagging, calving, processing, weaning.
- Must be able to grow replacement females and calve first calf heifers.
- Must be knowledgeable in rotational grazing systems and pasture management.
- Must know how to A.I. and palpate.
- Must be knowledgeable in electric fence construction and maintenance.
- Must know forage production/ must be able to take and read soil samples (hay and pasture).
- Must know how to take forage samples and interpret data.
- Must know how to cut and bale hay.
- Must be able to read and interpret EPD’s.
- Must be able to evaluate and cull cattle by phenotype when necessary.
- Must be detail oriented with cattle records.
- Must keep service records of all equipment and vehicles.
- Must be able to market cull cattle, replacement females, and stocker calves.
- Pulling, backing, and loading a trailer.
- Pickup and delivery of stock and supplies.
- Check water, break ice and maintain wells, and watering facilities.
- Run and maintain various pieces of equipment; tractors, plows, grain drills, front end loader, hay equipment.
- Some basic veterinary skills (pull calves, give shots, etc.).
- Light welding, plumbing, basic carpentry, basic electrical, basic mechanic skills needed.
- Standard ranch maintenance; maintain quality fences, brush and weed control, yard and grounds maintenance.
- Monitor security of all lands and assets.
You need to be honest, a self starter, and see the big picture. Must have a good attitude and work smart. The ranch has very nice facilities and equipment and it needs to be maintained as such. Ability to communicate with the ranch owner, other employees, and vendors clearly and with respect is essential.
The ranch is family owned and is kept family friendly. Your horse(s) and working dog(s) are welcome. Competitive pay commensurate with experience. Room & Board available.
Email Address Hidden
Phone Number Hidden
To apply, forward bio & resume to our email address. Or call for more info.