$19.00+ per hour working 40 hours per week. Full benefits package including medical, dental, vision, 401(k), PTO, and more!
The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), the nation’s most effective animal protection organization, is seeking an Animal Care Specialist for Duchess Sanctuary in Oakland, OR. In this position you will assist the Animal Care Manager with all aspects of equine care including, but not limited to their health, routine, and medical care. You will train staff and volunteers in specialized animal care. You will also clean and maintain enclosures and other spaces on the sanctuary grounds.
You will be responsible for:
- Monitoring the health and well-being of the equines and reporting abnormalities to the Manager, Animal Care. Assisting the Director, Operations and the Manager, Animal Care with ensuring that all equines receive what they need for their physical and psychological well-being, including proper nutrition, enrichment, and housing that is appropriate;
- Preparing food and diets for the equines and feeding according to dietary guidelines and the feeding schedule. Researching proper nutrition requirements including supplements for equines. Monitoring the condition of the equines and working with the Manager, Animal Care to adjust feed and supplements, when needed;
- Cleaning equine enclosures, common areas, storage, and other areas. Maintaining high standards of cleanliness and safety at all times and rectifying or reporting immediately any loss of enclosure integrity;
- Observing the equines for signs of illness or injury. Collaborating with the animal care team to determine treatment plans and administers medications or treatments to ill/injured animals under the direction of the Manager, Animal Care and/or a veterinarian. Recording all treatments, medications, or changes in feed/supplements, as directed;
- Transporting animals on the property or to the veterinarian and assisting with veterinary or other health care treatments performed on the property;
- Monitoring the changing needs of animals in different temperatures and addressing seasonal changes and needs including signs of heat illness, access to pasture adjustments, or the need for boots, blankets, fly masks, etc.;
- Training and overseeing the animal caregiver staff and volunteers in providing medications or treatments to ensure that proper protocols of animal care are followed. Bringing any recurrent or irresolvable problems to the attention of the Manager, Animal Care;
- Assisting the Director, Operations and the Manager, Animal Care in developing, updating, and implementing protocols and procedures;
- Taking inventory and monitoring supplies including food products, medications, and medical equipment. Organizing storage and stocks supplies.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in animal science or equine management or equivalent work experience required;
- A minimum of two (2) years of progressive experience in equine husbandry or equine management required;
- Experience with wild/feral and senior equines a plus;
- Vet tech or veterinary assistant experience a plus;
- Advanced knowledge of equine husbandry;
- A valid driver’s license is required and a clean driving record is strongly preferred, with the ability to demonstrate and maintain a safe driving record while employed;
- Must be able to safely operate a truck and horse trailer, ATV, tractor, and various tractor attachments;
- Must have or be able to obtain and maintain certification in CPR and first aid;
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook);
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment with frequent deadlines; high energy, self-motivated and proactive;
- Ability to multitask, and be flexible with regard to workload and assignments;
- Ability to exercise sound judgment;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Attention to detail and commitment to excellence demonstrated by the delivery of quality and timely outcomes. Ability to work both independently and as an effective team member in a team environment;
- Willing and able to work a flexible schedule that includes weekdays, weekends and holidays and endures occasional long workdays;
- Strong interest in animal protection issues preferred.
When applying, please upload your resume and cover letter together as one document.
Application link here: https://us61e2.dayforcehcm.com/CandidatePortal/en-US/humanesociety/Posting/View/2173
This position is located in Oakland, OR.
The health and safety of our candidates, employees, and the communities in which we work is our top priority. The Humane Society of the United States has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for all U.S. employees, including new hires. We make reasonable accommodations for employees with disabilities or sincerely held religious beliefs. All U.S. new hires will be required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination prior to their first day of employment.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, and disability, marital or parental status or protected veteran status. EOE
Email Address Hidden
All Ranch Jobs, Equestrian Ranch Jobs, Equine Jobs, Horse / Animal Rescue Ranch Jobs, Horse Boarding Ranch Jobs, Horse Care / Training Jobs, Horseback Riding / Trail Guide Jobs, Ranch Hand Jobs