Progressive export hay operation in Northern Nevada is seeking a proactive and results-driven Farm Foreman to be responsible for managing personnel, land, capital, machinery, and all other resources to produce high quality and high yielding hay crop, in addition to maximizing profits.
This is a full-time, fast-paced position that will conduct the day-to-day operations and oversee long-term planning of a large progressive hay farm. This position will require a broad skill set to provide oversight to all hay production activities including maintaining equipment, planting, irrigation, cultivation, and harvest of approximately 4,000 acres of hay.
- Direct activities on the farm to ensure timeliness of all agricultural practices, including land preparations, planting, cultivating, chemical and fertilizer application, irrigation, harvesting and storage of hay to achieve the greatest profitability per acre while improving the resource base.
- Reviewing overall field and crop health and identifying areas of concern. Identify areas of improvement, make recommendation on continuous improvement projects.
- Accountable for legal and safe application and documentation of chemicals, fertilizers, and pesticides.
- Develop and implement a quality annual hay crop plan effectively, efficiently, and on-time.
- Handling the marketing and sale of hay products produced on the farm.
- Ensure the compliance of Safety, Health, and Operational requirements are met with local, state, and federal agencies.
- Provide management of all equipment. Maintain, repair, and calibrate all field equipment. Ensure equipment is running in good working order so that activities on the farm are able to be completed safely and efficiently on or ahead of schedule. Maintain service records, source and purchase parts and services as necessary.
- Maintain and diagnose problems with irrigation systems, pumps, clocks, and valves; make necessary repairs and adjustments to maintain all systems in proper working conditions.
- Maintain P&L responsibility with significant focus on cost management. Participate in budgeting and business planning process. Manage purchasing of supplies, equipment, and inputs. Assist in the development of and monitor yearly objectives and long-term budgetary planning and cost management in alignment with farm’s strategic plan.
- Oversee farm staff. Manage, mentor and develop personnel on all policy, procedures, and safety in the performance of operations and tasks. Select and train full-time, seasonal, and/or temporary employees.
- Communicate positively and professionally with customers.
- Serve as a positive representative to the community, land partners, and other local suppliers.
The position requires at least 5-7 years of recent hay farm experience and strong mechanical skills. Recent supervisory experience and demonstrated leadership skills. Strong verbal and written communications skills. Experience in hay farm development and building company processes, systems, and infrastructure to enable growth. Demonstrated financial management experience and budgeting skills. Proficiency with Microsoft Office including Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook. Must have a valid driver’s license with a good driving record for the past 3 years and a NV Private Applicator License (or the ability to obtain). Must be able to accommodate the intense farm schedule during the growing season, in addition to work nights and weekends, per business needs. Housing on site is provided along with a company truck for work use. Smoking and drugs are prohibited on the ranch. Competitive compensation based on experience, plus benefits.
To apply please send a cover letter, resume and 3 recent work references to our email address.
Email Address Hidden