Thousand Hills Farm
Salary: based on experience, plus housing on the farm, utilities and company farm vehicle
Hours: 50-60 hours per week
Thousand Hills Farm is seeking a farm manager who is passionate about, and experienced in, regenerative agriculture. At Thousand Hills Farm, we are a 600-acre multi-species Savory Hub and American Grassfed Association (AGA) certified operation with 100+ cow/calf pairs and 200 finished animals/year for the Thousand Hills Lifetime Grazed brand. We also are initiating hog and laying hen production with hopes of scaling to financial feasibility. We aim to build soil biome/organic matter, increase water holding capacity, increase amount of and diversity of forage growth, and increase biodiversity using livestock.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
The manager will be the primary person at Thousand Hills Farm helping to implement continuous improvement to our regenerative ag, natural/organic and holistic management practices. This will include day-to-day activities such as building and repairing temporary and permanent fence, daily cattle moves, recording cattle moves and data on PastureMap, sorting, tagging, branding, updating the holistic grazing plan with all moves, checking on health and well being of animals, water set up, ensuring all animal needs are met. Successfully increase ADG with proper forage and animal mgmt. This person will also be responsible for initiating the stacking of enterprises such as poultry, hogs, goats, sheep, honey, etc into the current farm operation. There will also be bigger farm projects such as helping to build/repair sheds and/or modify corrals. Operating haying equipment, hauling cattle, moving hay, etc are also necessary.
Continuing to build a model farm suited for educational tours and sessions is also a role for Farm Manager.
The farm manager will mentor growing season interns. These interns will learn and assist with farm operation.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Ability to take initiative, be productive and work independently
- Ability to manage employees and interns of various skill levels
- Ability to collaborate on and execute vision for farm
- Consistently work in all-weather environments (all MN Seasons)
- Previous multiple species, grass-based farm experience–requirement
- Capable of operating equipment including trucks, cattle trailers, skid steer, haying equipment and tractors, etc.
- Knowledgeable of multiple species of livestock
- Soil sampling and data collection knowledge
- Experience with creating grazing plans, implementing and tracking
- Must have a strong work ethic
- Able to lift at least 75 lbs
- Valid Drivers License with clean driving record
- Training/exposure to holistic mgmt is preferred
To apply, forward bio & resume to our email address.
Email Address Hidden