West Creek Ranch/ Mountain Sky Guest Ranch
Job Title: AMBWest Farming Manager
Location: Emigrant, MT
Reports to: Land & Livestock Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt/Full-Time/Salary
Contact: Yancey Arterburn, General Manager or Kyle Richert, Land & Livestock
Office Phone: (406) 333-4911
Situated in the heart of Paradise Valley, West Creek Ranch and Mountain Sky Guest Ranch encompass over 14,000 acres of idyllic land in southwest Montana. The diverse landscape includes bottom terrain with over a mile of access to the Yellowstone River, mountain foothill pastures, agricultural fields and livestock yards. AMB West is comprised of two ranches with each having several structures including a residence, multiple rustic cabins and multi-unit lodging, outdoor pavilions and conference facilities. The ranches offer world class accommodations, intimate and beautiful natural surroundings and turn-key conference and meeting facilities especially designed to host intimate gatherings for individuals, families and groups desiring a few days “off the grid”.
AMB West Farming Manager will collaborate with the Land & Livestock Manager on oversight of herds of mother cows, irrigating/haying/farming operations, and will work to ensure an enjoyable guest experience across property boundaries. Collectively, the ranches run 330 mother cows and irrigate roughly 900 acres of land on the 19,000-acre operation.
- Direct report to the Land & Livestock Manager
- Create annual budgets in collaboration with West Creek Ranch and Mountain Sky Guest Ranch managers.
- Oversee monthly reporting schedule to Land & Livestock Manager.
- Work collaboratively with division managers at West Creek Ranch and Mountain Sky Guest Ranch, including guest services, livestock (horses and cattle) operations, and golf course.
- Irrigation/farming/haying – Oversee farming schedules and practices on all irrigated ground. Cut, bale, and stack hay crop for winter consumption by livestock. Ensure all irrigation equipment is properly maintained and utilized, including pivots, wheel lines, ditches, and flood irrigation.
- Equipment – Ensure all equipment used on the ranch is operated properly and safely, while maintaining all equipment and providing a regular maintenance record.
- Livestock – Maintain or improve herd health and performance of cattle and horses on ranch and leased lands. Perform regular checks on livestock, including water and forage in pastures, moves livestock through pastures according to collaboratively-produced grazing plans, and records livestock pasture moves. Maintain infrastructure needed for livestock – stock water systems, fencing, corrals.
- Invasive / noxious weeds – Oversees control of invasive and noxious plan species.
- Buildings – Maintain all ranch buildings in collaboration with Land & Livestock Manager and any contractors.
- Key performance indicators – Collaboratively works to define and adhere to key performance indicators for irrigated fields, rangelands, and livestock.
- Capably supervises any seasonal and full-time staff who assist in operations.
- Works with fellow ranch staff and guests in a courteous and friendly manner.
- Reports any and all issues directly to the Land & Livestock Manager.
- Utilizes proper chain of command.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Support AMB West on: HR issues; contractual issues; community; neighbor; county; state; issues as needed or requested.
- Assist with annual employee reviews as needed and requested.
- Assist direct reports in short and long-term planning for their operations as needed or requested.
- Other duties, projects or assignments from supervisor as necessary.
- Must have basic reading, writing, and mathematical skills.
- Must be proficient in software tools, including, but not limited to, Word, Excel, Outlook, and the internet.
- Prior experience operating heavy equipment required, including, but not limited to, haying equipment.
- Must have irrigation experience.
- Must possess ability to work long hours, especially during spring and summer when 12 plus hour workdays are common.
- Must have experience managing and handling livestock and their accompanying infrastructure, such as corrals, fencing, stock water systems.
- Must possess initiative to identify and complete tasks that surface unexpectedly.
- Must be conscientious with respect to work completion, deadlines, time management, and attendance.
- Must be a team player and willing to help others in their departments whenever necessary.
- Must possess a valid Montana drivers’ license.
- Must be able to solve problems and take initiative while working alone.
- Must demonstrate commitment to Company’s vision, mission, and core values.
- Must be analytic and detail oriented, while working at a fast pace and capable of multi-tasking.
- Develops professional relationships and build rapport with others.
- Overall good work ethic and willingness to adapt to change.
Language Skills: Fluent in English with strong written and oral communication skills.
Reasoning Ability: Must be able to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form. Ability to think quickly and adapt to changing situations.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Successful applicants must possess a valid Montana Driver’s license or be able to obtain one within 30 days of employment. Successful candidate will be required to sign a confidentiality statement and undergo a background check.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk and hear. The employee must frequently lift and/ move up to 75 pounds.
Compensation: AMB West, LLC. offers a competitive salary, Group Medical, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, 401(k), Employee Assistance Program, Life Insurance, Dependent Life, accidental Death and Dismemberment Coverage, Long Term Disability, Supplemental Life, Supplemental Death and Dismemberment Coverage, paid time off and holidays.
AMB West, LLC, is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug-Free Work Place.
For immediate consideration please email resume with references to:
INSTRUCTIONS: Interested individuals should send resume with references to the contact person listed above. If you have any questions concerning the position email this person for more details or to express your interest in the position.
Email Address Hidden
Phone Number Hidden