McBride Angus Farms
McBride Angus Farms Forage Operations Manager
McBride Angus Farms is a family-owned purebred Angus Farm located in Manchester, Tennessee. Our farm currently has approximately 200 cows and extensively utilizes AI and Embryo Transfer Breeding to produce high quality calves. Our cattle are raised on pasture and hay (primarily baleage grown and harvested on our farms). Cattle are sold through private treaty, our on-farm production sale or through our Farm Market after being processed at our family-owned USDA-Inspected Slaughter and Processing facility.
The Forage Operations Manager will have primary responsibilities in the areas of forage production and facilities and equipment maintenance for our livestock operation. This employee will be responsible for soil testing, fertilizing, seed drilling, spraying pastures and hay fields, all aspects of hay production and transportation, and equipment maintenance. This employee will also be part of our team assisting with other aspects of our cattle farm as needed.
To join our team, the ideal candidate will possess both professionalism and excellent communication skills as well as have a solid foundation of agronomy and forage production. Beef animal management experience and mechanical skills are pluses. The Forage Operations Manager will implement the aspects of our farm plan that relate directly to animal nutrition by managing our forage production. The Forage Operations Manager will report directly to the farm owner and/or farm manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Work directly with the owner to plan and execute the overall management of the farm property.
- Understand, implement, and represent the McBride Angus Farms Brand (Quality, Professionalism and Excellence)
- Ensure the needs of the farm are met by training, measuring, encouraging and managing the performance of farm employees who may be under his/her supervision to meet the needs of the operation; reviewing and controlling expenditures associated with maintenance, repair and upkeep of the property; and ensuring the smooth operation of the farm.
- Assist with activities related to our on-farm production sale(s)
- Assist with transporting cattle between our farms, to our customers, or to our processor.
- Maintain all farm equipment and machinery and keep proper maintenance records.
- Implement “best practice” management techniques, including soil fertility, rotational grazing, erosion control, herd health, nutritional value of hay cuttings, etc.
- Implement the farm plan for the production of forages.
- Be willing and able to direct and perform manual agricultural tasks including operating farm machinery and be able to easily lift 50 lbs.
- Work with the owner to expand and evolve the business by evaluating the quality of inputs as well as the livestock and meat produced. Promote the business and increase the marketing of cattle and beef sales; and improve the efficiency and profitability of the production processes.
- Communicate regularly with owner and other team members via in-person, email, phone or other means of communication and provide detailed weekly reports about the farm operations to the owner and/or farm manager.
- Assist as needed with our cattle production, including monitoring cows during calving, processing baby calves (ear tagging, weighing, etc), helping with all aspects of our production sale, promote the sale of beef directly to our customers and assist with our on-farm market as needed.
OTHER DUTIES include the following. Additional duties may be assigned.
- Develop specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize and accomplish work and schedule events, programs and activities as well as the work of others to achieve these goals.
- Communicate with internal (supervisors, peers and subordinates) and external (customers and the public) stakeholders through written, verbal and/or electronic mediums.
- Develop company culture by motivating, encouraging and building mutual trust, respect and cooperation and forming constructive and cooperative working relationships among team members.
- Handle complaints, settle disputes, resolve grievances and conflicts and otherwise negotiate with employees and external stakeholders.
- Perform day-to-day administrative tasks such as information files and processing paperwork.
- Provide guidance and expert advice to management or others on technical systems or process-related topics by translating or explaining what information means and how it can be used.
- Remain up-to-date technically and apply new and relevant knowledge to the job.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- Critical thinking
- Deductive reasoning
- Inductive reasoning
- Problem sensitivity
- Decision-making in stressful environments
- Computer literacy
- Material resources and equipment management
- Financial management
- Information ordering
- Active learning
- Clear communications / speech clarity
- Quality control analysis
- Positive leadership
- Flexibility and able to handle multiple priorities
- Ability to adjust to high pressure and rapidly changing business conditions.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
High School diploma or equivalent is required. While a college degree is not required, a bachelor’s degree or equivalent in agriculture, agronomy, plant and soil science, animal science or business management is preferred. Certification from a trade school with proficiency in equipment upkeep and maintenance, welding, etc. would also be highly regarded. Three years of similar experience is required. Candidate must possess a drivers license with a good driving record for the past three years, no previous DUI/DWI or the requirement of a SR22 Filing and must pass a routine background and drug check.
This position requires strong oral, reading and written English communication skills.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This position requires the employee to spend a significant amount of time outdoors. Must be able to work in extreme hot and cold environments. Physical fitness is required, as the operations manager will be required at times to do strenuous physical work, including lifting, pushing, pulling, carrying and otherwise maneuvering heavy objects.
The work environment can be hazardous as it requires the employee to be mentally awake and alert at all times. Hazards include operating tractors, equipment and other farm machinery which can cause serious injury or death; handling dangerous chemicals which cause damage to human health or the environment if improperly used; and the risk of injury from livestock and other living creatures (spiders, snakes, etc.).
The Forage Operations Manager position is a full-time job, often requiring long hours. Must be willing and able to work early, late and weekends as needed. Certain periods of time, including breeding, calving, hay production, production sales or caring for animals or emergency situations will require the Forage Operations Manager to work additional hours in order to accomplish the required task or situation.
This position will have a pay scale commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications and abilities.
Forward bio & resume to our email address.
Visit website here: https://mcbrideangus.com/
Email Address Hidden