Willow Creek Ranch
We are a private horse ranch located near Mount Shasta in Northern California, with miles of forest trails, lakes, creeks and breath taking views. An outdoor enthusiast’s dream, with a whole host of activities available on the ranch and in the local area, in the summer and winter, including but not limited to hiking, fishing, boating, swimming, skiing, and snowshoeing.
We are seeking a talented and motivated horse trainer to join our team. We are looking for someone with the ability or interest to take charge of our draft teams during the summer and ride, maintain and further the training of our saddle horses during the winter months. This means taking care of and driving the draft team(s) daily in the summer and riding saddle horses in the winter.
This is not a colt starting position, and is geared more towards finishing already broke trail horses to beginner safe standards. In the summer this person would shift their focus to the drafts and driving rather than riding. The primary focus is Western riding and trail rides for the owners and their guests.
We have 13 horses, including Quarter horses, 2 draft horse teams, alongside fantastic training facilities including an indoor and outdoor arena, round pen, and brand new barn.
- Driving the draft teams daily and participating in their care during the summer (May – October)
- Conversing while taking guests out on wagon rides
- Riding, training and finishing trail horses to a reliable and safe standard for beginner riders (November-April)
- Leading and accompanying any guests on trail rides and assisting them as required.
- General care of the horses to include feeding, grooming, mucking, bathing, turn out, etc
- Basic doctoring of wounds and administering both IV and IM injections as required.
- Transportation of horses as required.
- Experience driving or the interest in learning and then driving everyday and potentially not riding during the summer as time will be taken up with driving the drafts.
- Experienced rider, ideally in both Western and English disciplines, with knowledge of finishing horses to a beginner safe standard.
- Strong customer service skills.
- A positive attitude with the ability to work well in a team or independently using your own initiative.
- Competitive hourly pay based on experience.
- Subsidized health care.
- High quality housing available including all utilities.
- 1 personal horse allowed.
How to apply:
- Forward your resume, and a recent riding video, to our email address
- References required. No smoking on site.
Job Type: Full-time