About Brookshire Farm:
We are a small family-owned and run regenerative grazing cattle farm on around 230 acres, located in South Louisiana. We produce and sell 100% Grass fed beef through direct marketing practices. Our system centers around adaptive multi-paddock grazing of mostly perennial grasses. The primary tools in this system are comprised of 150-200 cattle depending on the season. We are a cow/calf operation that takes the animals all the way to finished beef.
About the Position:
- This is a long-term internship in Regenerative Agriculture. We ask that any applicant be prepared to stay here for 1 year. The reason for this is we feel its necessary to go through all the seasons to see how practices change with weather, and what the challenges you face will be.
- This is a paid work/educational opportunity that provides broad exposure and experience for individuals interested in regenerative ranching systems. This program is designed to offer hands-on experience, as well as formal sit-down learning sessions/business meetings for a complete learning experience. Interns gain hands-on experience in land and soil stewardship, animal husbandry, regenerative cattle grazing techniques and ranch business management principles.
- Interns work with the farm’s owners to care for the farm and its animals. We approach farming and land management with sustainable mindset and therefore work to optimize the soil and animal health to form a business model for generations to come.
- We use low stress cattle handling techniques so, hot shots, chasing cows with horses, etc are not used. All necessary tools are supplied by us.
- Duties will include working on all aspects of a working family farm, with on-site farm store and online store. This will include helping with setting and managing the daily grazing schedule; helping with maintaining and improving of farm infrastructure, including fencing, roads, watering systems, etc; helping to fill customers’ orders from our on-farm store as well as our online store; helping to maintain the farm image, which includes an orderly farm yard, domestic animals (such as chickens), and a farm vegetable garden.
- Candidates must be at least 18 years of age with the ability to safely perform ranch-related duties including 10-12hr days (sometimes) in hot/cold outdoor conditions. Candidates must be able to safely exert a considerable amount of physical effort to stoop, crouch, and lift as much as 50 pounds in performance of assigned duties. Also work with animals, farm tools, and heavy equipment and in environments that may contain dust, noise, heat, cold, and rain.
- A valid driver's license is required, and a clean driving record (no major infractions) is strongly preferred. Experience driving tractors or pulling trailers is preferred, but not required.
- We are looking for candidates from all academic disciplines and professional backgrounds. Prior experience working outdoors and with livestock is desired, but also not required. Successful applicants will be self-motivated, curious, hardworking and able to communicate well. Interns will be expected to work 40-50 hours/week, which will include weekends and some evenings. Interns will have one full day off per week and two weeks of paid leave, which will accrue ratably over the year. On-site private housing is provided with an allowance for utilities.
Salary: $1,000/month plus some meals and meat from the farm and vegetables from the farm garden.
To apply: Please send Resume/Bio to email listed.