Flying X Ranch
The Flying X Ranch is a unique, privately held Partnership located in the Laramie Range near Wheatland, Wyoming. We are seeking a long-term placement for this position; if you are good, we intend to keep you for years and decades. The Flying X Ranch is soliciting resumes for an open opportunity in senior-level Recreational Ranch Management.
The Flying X Ranch is a recreation ranch of approximately 23,800 acres in the southeast corner of Wyoming located in the Laramie Mountains at an elevation of between 6,100 and 7,400 feet. Of the nearly 24,000 acres, 18,000 are deeded and 5,800 are BLM-leased acres. It is owned and run by a Limited Partnership of 311 Partner shares, of which 292 are active. The Ranch is located 184 miles north of Denver, 92 miles from Cheyenne, and about 30 miles southwest of Wheatland, Wyoming (799 Halleck Canyon Road, Wheatland, WY 82201). Wheatland and Laramie are the closest towns providing medical, shopping, and other needs.
The Flying X Ranch is for the sole use and enjoyment of its Partners and their guests; it is not open to the public. The purpose is to provide a private retreat for people that enjoy horseback riding, fishing, hunting, camping, hiking, or that just love the outdoors and want to preserve a large section of nature’s beauty. All Partnership shares are owned privately.
There is a full-time staff that manages the equine needs, agriculture aspects, and facilities in general. There are seasonal staff added in the summer season to support Partner activities. The Ranch Manager will oversee this entire staff and the day-to-day operation of the Ranch as well as interact and work with the Partners on a daily basis.
Please carefully read our specifications and expectations: we are not looking to fill this position with anyone not having demonstrable experience in Recreational Ranch Management. Do not email us unless you have a good start on working with the following:
• Because we are a Partner-owned operation, the population you would interact with includes many of the 292 Partners and their families (and their guests), many of whom stay on the Ranch throughout much of the year.
• Concentrated around the Ranch House proper is an RV park and mobile home park, each with its own distinctive needs and issues, including services such as electricity, water, and sewage.
• Much of the infrastructure of the Ranch is monitored and permitted by Albany County agencies, Wyoming agencies, and Federal agencies.
• Common issues include managing permanent and seasonal Ranch staff, road grading, lake and dam maintenance, water leaks, hunting supervision and orientation, fish stocking, leach field maintenance, flood control, diplomatic relations with neighboring ranches, various permitting requirements, haying, horse herd management, cattle grazing negotiation, fencing, enforcing Ranch rules and regulations, cabin repairs, and as much proactive work you can handle.
• Your other talents include heavy equipment, irrigation, haying, fencing, basic carpentry, and livestock.
• Basic computer skills are expected: email and simple word processing, use of excel spreadsheets.
• You will be providing a yearly budget to the Flying X Ranch Board of Directors.
• At the end of the year, you will produce a written report of the year’s finances and physical condition along with recommendations for the following year. You have to be able to make and keep friends, or at least have great people skills to avoid making enemies. Diplomacy is your key skillset.
This is a lifestyle opportunity. You will live on the Ranch throughout the year and often horrendous winter. Your only companions during the dead of winter may be equine and operations staff, who are also living full-time on the Ranch. On your off-time you are free to horse ride, fish, hike, ATV, and avoid Partners who want a piece of your free time.
You will be reporting directly to the President of the Flying X Ranch Board of Directors. Your total compensation will be in the $40K range–depending on qualification and people skills–plus housing, utilities, health insurance stipend, cable, Ranch vehicle and ATV, a great community feeling, use of the Ranch, free steak on occasion, and some of the nicest folks you will ever want to meet.
Who would ever want this job? The right person. If that is you, and you have experience in Recreational Ranch Management, send a resume and cover letter to [email protected] Your cover letter should describe your experience with all the skills we have described above. We do not expect an applicant to have experience in all these areas, but the more skills, the more attractive the candidate will be. We look forward to knowing about you. Families are welcome.
Salary: $40,000 plus housing, utilities
Resumes & cover letters must be submitted to [FILLED]
Email Address Hidden
Phone Number Hidden