Crandall Creek Ranch
MOUNTAIN PERMIT RIDER – seasonal (May – Early November)
Crandall Creek Ranch is looking for a Mountain Permit Rider. Work locations will be both the Crandall area and Sunlight Basin approximately one hour from Cody. Permit Riders will be responsible for all aspects of yearling cattle care and management in private ranch pastures and mountain forest grazing allotments. 90% of work conducted horseback. We are looking for individuals with excellent cattle and horse handling skills who are enthusiastic, hard-working, safety-oriented, and able to take initiative to solve problems and contribute to an efficient cattle operation. This position includes housing paid for by the Ranch, including water, electric, and heating utilities. Depending on operations, there may be opportunities to remain as a full-time team member at the end of the season.
Singles or couples welcome and encouraged to apply.
Job duties include, but are not limited to:
- Riding to move, check on, and gather yearling cattle grazing on forest grazing allotments (Permits) and private property.
- Building and moving electric fencing for grazing at ranch pastures
- Identifying and doctoring sick cattle.
- Place mineral and salt on grazing permits.
- Receive and ship cattle at beginning and end of season.
- Minimize death loss and unaccounted for cattle.
- Fixing water troughs and fencing on Forest Service grazing allotments and private property.
- Caring for horses.
- Assist with irrigation as needed.
- Keeping barns swept daily at end of day.
- Organizing and cleaning work areas (barns and shops).
- Other tasks that arise in a cattle operation.
- Must be capable and confident horse rider, mountain riding experience and roping strongly preferred.
- Experience with or willingness to learn Bud Williams animal handling techniques.
- Able to work independently or with others.
- Must have a valid drivers license.
- Able to move / lift / maneuver up to 50 lbs.
Please email your resume and include in the subject line of your email the job title: Permit Rider. We look forward to hearing from you!