Seeking a reliable Ranch Hand and Handyman for a unique property that will be developed as a small cattle operation, hospitality and event venue with overnight stays at cabins throughout the 100 acre property. Assist in taking raw land that’s “off the grid” and building something amazing.
Location: Bertram, TX (Halfway between Marble Falls and Liberty Hill, TX), 45 Minutes from Downtown Austin – Local candidates preferred given the drive
Compensation: Hourly $10-15/hr. (Pay dependent on knowledge, experience and candidate)
- Opportunity to see an operation from an early state of raw land, and be influential in shaping it into something great.
- Candidate would ideally transition into a “right hand” and assist with a variety of construction projects.
- Experience working on an expansive project with exposure to many new projects, experiences, all with upward potential for someone who provides value to us.
- See the creativity and vision of the owners, and grow with us.
- Transition with projects as they develop
SKILLS and Desired Attributes
- Reliability: Show up on time and work hard while on the job
- Handyman and Trade Skills and Experience desired such as masonry, tile work, carpentry, electrical, etc. Let us know what your skills are and what you do best.
- Ability to drive a trailer and operate heavy ranch equipment (bulldozer, tractor, etc)
- Personal skills – ability to communicate well with others, give instruction, take instruction, effectively and rationally deal with conflicts /deadlines
- Note taker, great listening and communication skills, ability to work without supervision, good critical thinking skills, knowledge of ranching, and ability to problem-solve.
- Desire to improve processes and efficiency throughout the operation
- Self-starter, highly motivated, and able to complete projects with limited or no direct supervision
- Knowledge of soils, crops and agriculture for garden
- Maintenance and upkeep of ranch vehicles as needed
TASKS: Common and Initial Example Tasks
- Fence Building – Install new fence and repair existing fence around property perimeter. Both high fence and 5 strand barbed wire depending on location.
- General Labor and Various Handyman and construction projects
- Selectively clearing of cedar from property with heavy equipment (dozer and cutting tools)
- Road improvement and trail creation to navigate the very contoured and thick property
- Errands and supply runs to local hardware stores
- Remodeling project of airstream – gutting, light electrical, etc.
- Assist in running large equipment
- Building of a front gate and gates as required throughout the property
- Build a greenhouse and create a small garden and farming operation
- Mowing, weed-eating
- Predator control
- Prior ranch hand and/or grounds keeping experience
- Assistance with starting a small cattle operation. Preference given to applicants who have experience caring for animals, cattle, and exotics.
- Driver’s license and Good driving record
- Able to pass drug screening and background check
- Applicant must be physically able to carry up to 60 pounds
- Must have reliable transportation to and from the job site. Candidates with a truck equipped with towing capability – and the ability to hook on, back-up and drive a trailer
- Tools: Most tools available onsite or provided, but preference given to those who bring their own commonly used tools.
With all this said, experience comes second to reliability, motivation and desire.
Owners are laid back, but have high expectations and will be great to you if you’re good to them.
To apply, forward bio & resume to our email address.