Hollow Top Angus
Hollow Top Angus is an angus seedstock ranch located near Pony, Mt. The ranch herd is comprised of approximately 500 females with calves and approximately 100 one and two year old bulls at our development center. The ranch encompasses about 2,000 acres of irrigated pastures with nine pivots, producing mixtures of grass and alfalfa and about 5,000 additional acres of ranchland and timbered mountains.
We are currently looking for an experienced full-time ranch hand who will report to the ranch manager.
The successful candidate will be a team player with a career objective of working in the cattle production business.
They will also have at least three years’ experience at such tasks as:
- Feeding and watering cattle in the development center
- Calving day and night
- Doctoring cattle from horseback in the pasture and pens
- Operating and maintaining basic ranch equipment such as trucks and trailers, feed trucks, haying
- equipment and post pounders
- Infrastructure maintenance including fencing and ditch cleaning
The ranch hand position has responsibilities such as, but not limited to, the following:
- Feed nutrient and hay to cattle in the development center and in pastures as appropriate
- Feed horses hay and supplements when necessary.
- Ensure cattle and horses always have adequate water supplies
- Participate in night calving and directed by RM.
- Assist with artificial insemination and embryo transfer (ET).
- Tag and weigh new-born calves as directed.
- Clean all cattle corrals and calving pastures as directed.
- Move cattle according to migration or intensive grazing plans.
- Assist with weed suppression as directed
- Ride cattle to identify sick or injured animals. Doctor as appropriate.
- Repair or build fences as directed.
The successful candidate will have the following specific skills:
- Horsemanship. Candidate must be a capable rider and proficient roper, able to pursue cattle and ride across all kinds of topography. Must also understand basic horse nutrition and care.
- Cattle handling. Candidate must understand the fundamentals of handling cattle in a manner that minimizes stress and maximizes efficiency.
- Candidate must have an undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline or the equivalent in work experience.
- Candidate must have knowledge of basic ranch equipment such as skid steers and tractors.
- Candidate must have experience hauling and securing loads on 30-40 foot flat-bed and stock trailers.
- Candidate must have basic computer skills such as Excel and Word.
- Candidate must be neat, organized and able to discuss techniques they employ on the cattle side of the operation to visitors.
- Welding skills helpful, but not required.
- Diesel mechanic skills helpful, but not required.
To apply, Resumes should be sent to our Ranch Office Manager: Jessi Fanelli, via email
Email Address Hidden