US Bison Ranch
US Bison, LLC and its affiliates operate bison exclusive ranches maintaining approximately 2,000 mother cows grazing on 29,000 plus acres. In addition to the cow herd, US Bison and its affiliates operate bison backgrounding/feed and grow facilities with capacities of up to 5,250 animals. The Bison Manager (BM) is responsible for coordinating all aspects of an integrated bison cow/calf and feed & grow operation. The BM will oversee livestock grazing, pasture quality and rotation, livestock feeding, feed and forage inventory, water source, care and health of all livestock, livestock protocols, livestock traceability, and associated vendor relationships. The BM reports to the Director of Livestock working alongside ranch technician, veterinarians, consultants, regulatory agencies, office support staff and vendors to assure optimal animal care, traceability, health and performance of all livestock and facilities.
Primary Responsibilities and Scope:
- Assist in the development and management of the annual ranch budgets.
- Assist in vendor related relationships.
- Report of daily, weekly and monthly livestock related activities including but not limited to animal health, weather conditions, facility conditions, forage and feed consumption.
- Ensure safety and security of all assets including employees, equipment, forage, feed and animal inventories.
- Make good, independent decisions based on experience and judgements.
- Maintain and improve Individual Bison Identification System (I.B.I.S.).
- Assure effective management of livestock-related relationships such as contracted operations, Veterinarians, Animal Nutritionists, Forage Suppliers, Feed Suppliers, Livestock Carriers, Animal Suppliers, etc.
- Facilitate paperwork and information flow for all animal inbound/outbound movements relating to activities such as purchase contracts, import/export requirements, relocations, and harvest loads.
- Oversee herd grazing rotation and animal handling schedules.
- Work in variable weather conditions, at remote locations, on difficult and hazardous terrain and under physically demanding circumstances.
- Work hours may vary with possible evening, weekend, or holiday work required depending on the season and associated work duties.
- Maximize breeding rates, weaning rates, cost of gain, and minimize death loss.
- Seek out and implement training opportunities.
- Attend and participate in Bison Industry Associations events as needed and as appropriate.
Skills and Qualifications
- Knowledge of current trends and practices in land management including planned livestock grazing, noxious weed management, water rights, easements and fire mitigation.
- Practical experience in natural livestock management and care. Knowledge of natural, hormone free and antibiotic free grain finishing principles is highly desirable.
- Ability to manage and complete diverse tasks independently with respect to timelines and budgets.
- A minimum of five years’ experience livestock management.
- BS in Animal Science preferred.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with overseeing the health of livestock including all aspects of animal husbandry.
- Strong desire to be part of a dynamic, entrepreneurial work environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills and communication abilities including excellent writing and computer skills, including Excel.
- Strong organizational abilities, time management skills, people skills and ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects.
- Ability to work well independently, as a member of a high functioning team and developing effective working relationships with people from a variety of backgrounds.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Energetic, dynamic and engaging personality.
- Must live on the ranch and able to work a variable work schedule, which includes work on weekends and holidays.
- Must be willing to travel across all company operated ranching locations.
- Must have a current Passport.
- Must be have valid driver’s license and experience operating various types of equipment and machinery (trucks, tractors, ATV/UTVs, mowers, generators, pumps, etc.).
- The Bison Manager is a full-time, year round, exempt position. Starting salary is commensurate with experience.
- Position based on ranching operation near Babb, MT
Salary: $70,000 to $75,000 includes Housing and Annual Bonus
Years of Experience preferred: 5 yrs
Email Address Hidden
Phone Number Hidden