The Winery Ranch is situated on the north-facing slopes of the Santa Rosa Hills in Santa Barbara County. The 600+ acre ranch has 35+ acres of grapes planted across non-contiguous vineyards, producing wines that are layered and reflecting the special terroir of the region.
There is a smaller ranch house used by the winery for entertainment, and the family is currently in the process of building multiple structures for both ranch and personal use. The future plans include a winery built on the property.
To grow exceptional wine grapes, improve the vast ranchlands and create recreational opportunities for their family.
- The Winery values sustainability that incorporates people, profit, and the planet.
- We support wildlife habitat enhancement.
- We are building a ranch for family enjoyment and use that includes outdoor recreation opportunities that complement agriculture uses.
- We practice regenerative agriculture.
- We want to manage our ranch with economic prudence and sustainability.
- We have a long-term ownership approach, building value over generations.
- We want to maintain clean water, soil, & air at all times through our practices.
The Ranch Manager who will take direction from the General Manager to oversee the day to day ranch/vineyard needs.
The Ranch Manager will be responsible for improving and maintaining the ranch’s current operations. The family endeavors to take a holistic approach in the management of the ranch. Prioritizing the agricultural, recreational, wildlife, ecological, and geological assets of the ranch.
Eventually, the manager would live on-site.
This is a salaried exempt position.
Skills & Experience Required
A practical understanding and competency in the following skills are necessary to adequately plan and supervise the annual maintenance, enhancement projects, and ranch business operations. The ideal candidate will have a background and/or deep interest in viticulture with the desire to initially work with the outside vineyard management company and potentially manage the vineyards in the long run, in addition to the ranch.
Through a close working relationship with the General Manager, assist with the following activities. Position requires being “on call” with availability for weekends and evenings, including holidays.
- Perform work in a quality fashion.
- Search for and execute continuous improvement opportunities.
- Perform general maintenance on all buildings.
- Perform basic electrical installation; install wiring and conduit safely and in compliance with county, state, & federal regulations.
- Heavy and light equipment operation and maintenance.
- Basic welding skills desired to maintain and improve ranch gates, fences, and equipment.
- Operate machining tools and drill presses.
- Chain saw operations to clear limbs, windfalls and collect winter wood supply.
- Familiarity with drip irrigation systems: pesticides and calibrations; sustainable vineyard practices; agricultural safety, equipment and practices.
- Water system maintenance including pipes, tanks, and pumps. Perform basic plumbing and piping operations.
- Build, maintain, and improve road and culvert infrastructure.
- Fence building and maintenance.
- Noxious weed control along gravel roads, around buildings, corrals, and some pastures.
- Pasture rejuvenation and re-seeding.
- Road grading, maintenance, gravel hauling.
- Retention pond maintenance including spillway and dam repair if needed.
- Maintain ranch lawns and irrigation systems, outbuildings, and shops to a high level of cleanliness/tidiness.
- Monitoring pastures for optimum usage. Animal husbandry projects, not currently on the property, could be introduced.
- Provide recreational enjoyment opportunities for the ownership and their families/friends
- Other duties as assigned.
2-4 yr. College Degree in Agriculture Business, Animal Husbandry, Agriculture Business & Management, Agricultural Operations, Farm and Ranch Management.
- Experience with vineyard management or interest in expanding to position.
- Good communication (both verbal and written) and interpersonal relationship abilities.
- Ability to communicate in both Spanish and English.
- Ability to manage a small team of ranch hands or vineyard workers.
- Professional attitude along with a good sense of humor.
- Safe ATV skills
- Carpentry, light mechanical, electrical, welding, plumbing, & painting abilities
- Ability to safely and skillfully operate all manner of light and heavy equipment including chainsaw, bulldozer, tractor, and related implements
- Ability to independently look for work when assignments are completed
- Ability to work effectively in all weather conditions
To apply, forward bio & resume to our email address.
Email Address Hidden
To apply, forward bio & resume to our email address. Or call for more info.