The Resort at Paws Up
THE RESORT AT PAWS UP
At the crossroads of incomparable luxury and unspoiled wilderness lies The Resort at Paws Up, a luxury ranch resort situated on a sprawling 37,000 acres thirty minutes east of Missoula. The resort offers its clientele a choice between safari-style luxury tents or secluded rustic homes settled throughout the property. Paws Up provides an unfiltered connection with the natural beauty of Montana amidst a landscape of impeccable elegance and comfort. Nearly two dozen guided activities are offered including River rafting, fly fishing, skeet shooting, horseback riding and rappelling.
HORSE MANAGER POSITION
Paws Up employees are responsible for providing an exceptional experience to guests staying at the resort. This position is responsible for overseeing the daily operations of the “Saddle Club” including ranch guest programs offered by the resort. The essential job functions are:
Management of a horse herd of 65-85 head
• Must have extensive experience in buying and selling horses.
• Source all leased horses including delivery and return of all stock.
• Balance equine demand with inventory.
• Responsible for herd health, farrier service and all nutrition including coggins test, brand inspection, etc.
• Assess and address all equine health issues; work closely with local veterinarians.
• Application and administration of basic equine drugs.
• Develop, implement and administer a vaccine program and disease emergency response program.
• Schedule and handle all farrier services. Ensure soundness of equine herd.
• Project annual hay and feed needs working closely with ranch management.
• Training and schooling of horses to be guest ready.
• Training owner’s horses to be acceptable for riding by owner.
• Communicate continuously as to needs and availability with Activities Director.
Acquisition and repair of all tack. Maintain tack inventory and security.
• Understanding and oversight of proper tack fitting and load bearing of individual animals.
Development of a wrangler and teamster acquisition hiring program to include personnel with the necessary horse experience, social skills and respect for all the animals used.
• Provide an authentic western riding experience to guests of all ages.
• Supervise the scheduling of horse related activities including horses and personnel.
• Provide feedback to wranglers on a continuous basis.
• Obtain feedback from guests as to their equine experience.
• Develop wranglers especially suited to instruct and develop children’s riding capability.
• Develop a back-up program to always have sufficient wranglers available to satisfy guest requests.
Responsible for management, maintenance and oversight of Saddle Club, its related facilities, arenas, rolling stock, stock water and pastures necessary for the horse herd.
• Management of staff needed for year round operations.
• Supervise the saddle club operation.
• Budget preparation and accountability.
• Establish program for development of additional arena and barn utilization.
Development and management of the guest equine programs.
• This includes all levels of riding activities which reflect everything from beginner instruction to jumping on basic trails to mountain riding.
• Ability to provide an appropriate riding experience to all guests.
• Development of all instructional programs.
• Proven ability to communicate effectively and appropriately with all staff and guests.
• Equine Management
• Personnel Management
• Proficiency in computer knowledge
• Extensive horse management experience (minimum 5-7 years’ experience)
• Extensive personnel management experience
• Proven horse development, care, training and utilization
• Experience in group riding programs
The predominant post-vacation sentiment expressed by our guests is the excellent service they received from our staff. At Paws Up, we invest a lot in our employees with professional training, competitive pay and seasonal privileges. Our staff members gain the valuable experience that comes with helping travelers discover the great state of Montana.
Email Address Hidden
Phone Number Hidden