The Livestock Assistant is a member of the Natural Resources & Agroecology Team. They will be responsible for working under the supervision of the Manager of Sustainable Agriculture at Duke Farms on the maintenance of the livestock farming operation. The individual will actively contribute to the implementation of Duke Farms multi-faceted agriculture program, including the rotationally grazed beef herd, annual crops, perennial crops, innovative cover crop/green manure practices, on site compost production, and may be called upon to support other aspects of the farm as needed.
The Livestock Assistant will be required to reside at Duke Farms, as a condition of his/her employment, in provided housing subject to the Duke Farms Housing Protocol.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- All aspects of farm work, in all extremes of weather, including, but not limited to: mowing, day-to-day livestock care (beef cattle, chickens, goats), fieldwork, haying, harvest, paddock layout, fencing installation and maintenance, and marketing;
- Assist with record keeping of pertinent information related to livestock care, and pasture and field maintenance using appropriate software;
- Assist with on-site compost operation, turning, screening, and field application.
- Coordinate with other DF staff as needed to address necessary maintenance of farm facilities, equipment and machinery.
- Other related work as required.
- At least one year of experience in a farming operation is required, preferably at a sustainable agricultural operation;
- Successful completion of at least one year of course work in farming practices, including livestock, is preferred;
- Competent and familiar with most farm machinery, tractors, and implements or the ability and willingness to learn from seasoned professional Duke Farms on staff;
- Experience with beef cattle preferred, or willingness to learn all aspects of day-to-day care;
- Ability to communicate to the general public the various aspects of the farming operation;
- Able to traverse the 2700+ acre Duke Farm’s property as well as travel to other locations;
- Willing to work indoors and outdoors under various weather conditions;
- Willing to work outside of traditional business hours, including weekends, evenings and occasional holidays.
- Ability to work as a team as well as independently to complete various tasks.
- Valid driver’s license required.
HOW TO APPLY
Send resume with cover letter to our email address. Include your last name followed by “Livestock Assistant” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until December 1, 2020.
Duke Farms is a leader in environmental stewardship and inspires visitors to become informed stewards of the land. It is a place of education, enjoyment and research that enhances the environmental health of the region.
Through the beauty of its natural setting, the diversity of its wildlife, and the scope and quality of its educational programs, demonstrations and research, DF inspires people to transform their approach to conservation and to start building a more sustainable future.
The Doris Duke Charitable Foundation is committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in its work and workplace culture. We provide equal opportunity for employees and applicants in all aspects of the employment relationship, without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, citizenship, marital status, military or veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law; and we strongly encourage candidates of all identities, experiences, orientations and communities to apply.
Visit website here: https://www.dukefarms.org/
Email Address Hidden