Madison Valley Ranch
Madison Valley Ranch
A luxury Orvis-endorsed fly fishing lodge located in the heart of Southwest Montana on the Madison River.
Madison Valley Ranch is a true fly fishing paradise, where guests feel right at home with top-notch hospitality, excellent cuisine, comfortable lodging, and phenomenal fishing.
The perfect home away from home; just a cast away!
We are accepting applications for the position of Sous-Chef. This position runs from April through October.
The Sous-Chef is responsible for supporting the executive chef in leading a team that delivers high-end, quality meals. MVR embraces the farm-to-table tradition, using fresh local ingredients wherever possible. Everything is scratch cooking. We accommodate up to 24 guests at a time, providing gourmet breakfast, appetizers, and a gourmet four course dinner.
The ideal candidate for Sous-Chef will have prior experience at the Sous-Chef level with high-end lodges or restaurants. They should have a positive work attitude, be friendly and work well with others, be comfortable managing food quality and presentation, and have the ability to oversee labor and food costs. They will also help to oversee kitchen stewards. The successful candidate will be comfortable managing the kitchen in the absence of the executive chef.
Some key skills and abilities we are seeking in a Sous-Chef:
– Desire and passion to produce quality food
– Attention to cleanliness and sanitation (we are an open kitchen)
– Strong knife and butchering skills
– Ability to cook breakfast for 24 (with morning shifts starting at 5:00AM)
– Ability to work flexible and long hours (some split shifts required)
– Strong oral and written communication skills with attention to detail
– Exceptional planning and organization skills, as well as attention to detail
– Desire to provide excellent customer service
– Maintain a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner that enables positive interactions with guests, vendors, co-workers, and management.
– Ability to perform well under pressure
Room and Board
We have a high-end private home available for use by employees. Based on availability, rooms will be either single or double occupancy with a shared bath. The furnished home offers a full kitchen, four bedrooms, two bathrooms, small office area, living room, dining area, washer/dryer, wireless internet. It is located approximately two and a half miles from the lodge, so a bike or vehicle would be ideal.
A $250 deposit is taken and returned when you depart at the end of the season, assuming room is in good condition upon departure. Lodging is charged at $125 per month, and this can be deducted from your paycheck or paid in advance. A nearby grocery store is available for purchasing food to prepare in the house’s kitchen.
– Working with an independently owned boutique lodge in a beautiful setting
– Close proximity to Yellowstone National Park, the Madison River (fishing and recreation), and excellent hiking trails, kayaking on Hebgen Lake.
– Within a 1.5 hour drive you can find the following activities: 5 blue ribbon trout streams, climbing, whitewater rafting, and much more!
– Small-town living in a friendly community: Ennis, Montana, gateway to Yellowstone- Seasonal position allows you to travel during the winter
– High-end employee lodging available nearby
Getting Here and Getting Around
Driving your personal vehicle to Ennis is highly recommended. This will allow you the freedom to explore the town and surrounding areas and maximize your experience in Southwest Montana. The lodge is located 2.5 miles from the employee house — a vehicle is recommended or an off-road bike for the dirt road would suffice.
The location of Madison Valley Ranch makes it an outdoor enthusiast’s dream! Fly fishing the world-famous Madison River is a must-do, as is visiting Yellowstone National Park in the summer to see the bison, elk, bears, wolves, bald eagles, and more. There are numerous hiking trails nearby and mountains to summit, if you are the adventurous type. The small town of Ennis offers many antique shops, locally-owned restaurants, farmers markets and farm dinners, boutique shops, a fitness center, hospital, grocery store — essentially everything you need! The locals are a friendly mix of young couples, old ranchers, mule deer, antelope, and everything in between.
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying for this job, please send a resume, a cover letter explaining why you would be an asset to MVR, dates available, a personal photo, and multiple references. All information is required for consideration. References will be checked for reliability and integrity of candidates. Please do not call us; if you meet our requirements, we will be in touch. Salary information will be discussed during the interview process. We thank you for your interest in joining the MVR team.
Email Address Hidden
Phone Number Hidden