Golden Trout Wilderness Packtrains
May through October 2016
Golden Trout Wilderness Packtrains offers guided backcountry horseback rides and pack trips in California’s beautiful High Sierra Mountains. We travel extensively the Golden Trout Wilderness and pack throughout Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks.
Packers assist in the care of our horses and equipment; take part in leading trail rides, keep barns, fences, etc in good repair, keeping everything neat, tidy and well kept. During the fall season, they pack clients and gear into drop camps, set up camps, pack bear and deer for clients. When things are slow, they use the time to work with horses that need it, keep up facilities and look beyond their immediate realm of responsibility to see how they can assist with the overall work of the Pack Station.
Applicants must have strong work ethic, ranch/livestock background and good horsemanship skills, packing, horseshoeing or backcountry cooking experience skills are preferred; however, we will train individuals with the right personality and work ethic. Ability to provide excellent customer service to clients is essential.
• Must be 18 years of age or older.
• Valid driver’s license with a clean record
• Must have a good sense of humor, outgoing personality that enjoys people.
• Good Physical Condition with ability to lift a minimum of 75 lb. (bag of grain, bale of hay).
• Ability to provide leadership to a group of 12+ people on and off the trail. Giving instruction and ensuring the safety of all staff, guests and horses.
• Must be a good role model, exhibiting character traits such as honesty, strong work ethic, patience, kindness and respect for others, especially those in authority.
• Must exhibit good judgment and common sense in regards to people and horses and their safety.
• Ability to handle an emergency in a calm and proficient manner, giving leadership under a variety of situations.
• Must be a team player, willing to help out wherever there is a need.
• Give safety and riding instruction in a clear and upbeat manner.
• Match people with appropriate horses based on their size and experience.
• Learn some of our local history as well as names of wild flowers, trees, etc. and share that information with our guests in an interesting manner.
• Follow all Pack Station standards and guidelines.
• Maintain records of horse care, vetting, shoeing, feed, trail log, etc.
• Help to maintain trails, pastures, and fences in the backcountry.
• Daily Check and maintain equipment and horses, for safety and condition.
• Maintain daily orderliness and cleanliness around tack areas and corrals.
• These are not the only duties to be assigned. Some duties may be reassigned and other duties assigned as required.
Salary plus tips, room and board.
$1,200.00 to $1,600.00 a month depending on experience.
ALL IN ONE POSITION – DAY RIDES/HOUSEKEEPING/COOK/HOSTESS/HOST
This person must be reliable, honest, self-motivated with strong organization skills, excellent work ethic and able to provide references. We have an active Pack Station and are looking for someone who enjoys being part of a team and can wear many hats when needed.
• You need to genuinely enjoy people, both guests and fellow crew.
• Have the ability to engage guests with various personalities and nationalities.
• Have the desire to make guests and crew feel welcome and well cared for.
• Must enjoy preparing and cooking meals for up to 20 people in one sitting.
DAY RIDE SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES
Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
• Lead trail rides for our guests and visitors.
• Give riding lessons and teach basic horsemanship.
• Ability to lift 75 pounds (Saddles, grain bags, fence panels etc.)
• Able to halter, saddle and bridle horses without supervision.
• General care of livestock: basic veterinary skills, feed and water stock, stall cleanup.
COOK/HOSTESS/HOST SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES
• Efficiently prepare delicious meals for the guests, daily and in a timely fashion.
• Ensure clean-up of all dishes after preparing and serving meals.
• Keep kitchen continually stocked with food, drinks, snacks and condiments.
• Maintain high standards of cleanliness and organization.
• Keep track of food inventory and ensure supplies are well stocked.
• Maintain the comfort and relaxed Pack Station atmosphere enjoyed by our guests.
• Tend to any requests by the guests and problem solve as needed.
• Occasional driving required for supply shopping and airport shuttle for guests.
• Ability to cook meals as specified from written instruction.
HOUSEKEEPING SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES
• Ensure the upkeep and cleanliness of all guest accommodations.
• Ensure the main Lodge is clean and presentable for guest use at all times.
• Clean and change linens in the guest rooms and cabins as guests depart.
• Regularly clean bathrooms, stocking supplies as needed.
• Sweep and mop floors, emptying garbage, dusting and vacuuming regularly.
• Attend to dishes and bag laundry on a daily basis.
• Maintaining clean common areas such as the living room, dining room, and outside areas.
• Ensure all vehicles are kept clean and presentable.
• Keep track of cleaning product inventory and ensure supplies are well stocked.
Salary plus tips, room and board.
$800.00 to $1,200.00 a month depending on experience.