Position: Spring/Summer Sled Dog Handler and Ranch Hand, Park City, Utah
Organization: Pawstach Mushing
Job Objective: We are seeking an individual who is responsible, trustworthy, motivated, self-driven, who possesses a great attitude and thrives at hard work. This position requires you to have a range of skills associated with the caring of sled dogs, horses, and helping with ranch projects. Roles and responsibilities will include but not be limited to;
• Feed twice a daily, morning and evening.
• Clean/wash kennels prior to feeding
• Clean/wash the outdoor dog yard
• Maximize and Monitor outdoor yard time
• Dog Care is top priority. As the main caretaker you will be expected to monitor the health of the dogs. You will be trained in administering canine first aid, medications, wormers, and vaccinations.
• Development of a relationship with each dog and bonding and supporting their needs over the spring, summer and fall months
• Assist in training and running dogs periodically throughout summer when temperatures allow with the musher.
• Take dogs on walks/runs individually to work on socialization and bonding.
• Possess a positive and great attitude when working rain or shine, long hours, early mornings, late nights as needed
• Maintain and repair gear, kennel, fencing, dog yard as needed
• Assist owner with kennel improvements and projects as needed and assigned
• Feed and water twice daily
• Rotation of horses in various pastures as assigned
• Bi-weekly brushing and general care of horses
• Corral cleaning and maintenance
• Cleaning of tack room and hitching area
• DOE and interest, various other horse related tasks
• Tack care and maintenance
Ranch Improvement and Other General Responsibilities:
• Cleaning and improvement of property grounds. This could include raking/mowing of landscaping areas, mulching, rock removal and placement, weed eating, watering and other associated tasks
• Fencing projects including; extensive post hole digging, fence stretching, grounds and trail preparation.
• General and basic carpentry work
• Care of house and house pets during family vacations
• Various errands and tasks as assigned.
Expect a full workday while working on projects and doing dog/horse chores 4-5 days a week. The other 2-3 days a week, you will only be expected to do the morning and evening chores; the rest of the day is yours to explore and enjoy Utah. This is a physical job and all applicants must be able to lift and carry 50+ lb dogs and equipment. No smoking or irresponsible drinking. Upon mutual agreement, we can schedule several days off in a row for any planned adventures you may want to have while in Utah. Family vacations will take priority. We are 10 minutes from downtown Park City and 30 minutes from Salt Lake.
The position does not require you to have all the experience needed, on the job training can be provided. However, equestrian and/or dog handling experience is a plus.
Motor Vehicle Record: Applicants must be at least 21 years of age by the position start date and possess a valid driver’s license. Must have a clean driving history.
Dates of Employment: March 1st to Sept 15. These dates are negotiable.
We are looking to start someone in early March if possible, but are open to dates for the right person into May. End date is negotiable, however someone willing to stay until Sept 15th will have priority.
• Salary DOE expect between $500-1500/month + room
• Housing is included and is a comfortable private room with a common kitchen area and bath, includes TV and Internet.
• Experience of spending a summer in Park City, Utah working with sled dogs and horses.
If we find the right person who is interested, they may have the opportunity to work year round handling for our race team through the winter of 2015-16. Check out our Facebook page at “Pawsatch Mushing” for pictures and videos of our kennel and dogs.
Email Address Hidden
Phone Number Hidden
To apply, forward bio & resume to our email address. Or call for more info.