Alko Equestrian Center
Exclusive private boarding facility in Napa, CA providing a high-level Resident Dressage Trainer with clients from Training Level to Prix St. Georges as well as riders of a variety of flatwork disciplines seeks a skilled and experienced Groom. This person must be a detail-oriented self-starter with excellent horse handling expertise, first-aid knowledge, and great customer service communication skills to provide specialized services in and around our approximate 40 stall barns and surrounding facilities.
This individual will ensure that all equine residents and their owners (Members) receive the highest level of daily, individualized care and attention while overseeing barn staff and ensuring cleanliness, organization and maintenance of this beautiful facility and its equine residents.
Candidate must have at least 3 years of experience handling a wide range of horses including warmbloods and competition horses and the organizational ability to oversee the daily requirements and schedule workflow of stalls, turnouts, 3 groomed arenas, (1 indoor) and maintain proper levels of supplies, (hay, feed, shavings, equipment) at all times.
- Supervise and participate in routine daily horse handling care of a range of horses from retirees to competition horses in current training, ensuring exceptional high standards.
- Responsible for day and night checks monitoring horses for any medical issues, abnormalities, or unusual behaviors taking notice of clinical signs or symptoms of well-being or health issues.
- Work with Facilities Manager to prevent and resolve any barn maintenance items as they arise.
- Work with Controller including ordering, customer billing and payroll reporting.
- Supervise day-to-day operations of the barn ensuring all barn chores are completed.
- Manage individualized feeding schedule for up to 40 horses.
- Oversee turnout schedule and provide hands-on turnout assistance, (booting, blanketing based on horses’ needs and temperature, pest control, etc.)
- Grooming and tacking up Member horses on-time in preparation for training sessions (including wrapping with polo wraps and under bandages, appropriately tacking up each horse per its individual needs, and administering Hypervolt massage device or other technologies to prepare horses for work)
- Easy identification of all dressage equipment (snaffle vs. double bridle, etc.)
- Cleaning, organizing, and putting away equipment and tack.
- Caring for member horses after training sessions (i.e. untacking, rinsing, bathing, hand walking, and icing if required)
- Professional level body clipping
- Horse show and other travel preparation and packing for members (not required to travel to shows
- Lunging and hand walking in a productive and safe manner. Occasional exercising, flat riding, possible schooling of horses not in training (if requested).
- Provide equine first aid treatment, bandaging or special services as needed.
- Provide support in emergencies. Communicate with trainer/owner and hold for veterinarian as required.
- Assist Guides as needed for onsite trail ride program.
- Assist in maintaining accurate veterinary and health records for trail horses.
- Assist in administering parasite control for Trail Horses 2-3 times/year as instructed by Veterinarian.
- Assist with annual or bi-annual (Spring & Fall) Veterinary maintenance appointments for Trail Horses for vaccinations and dental work.
- Strong horsemanship care and management skills including experience with warmbloods and large, fit horses a must.
- Extensive knowledge and hands-on skills in grooming and horse handling at FEI caliber is a must, including tacking bathing, booting, blanketing, wrapping, clipping, poulticing, icing, soaking, and administering medications and supplements.
- Excellent Communication Skills to develop and maintain rapport with horse owners/boarders and provide them with top notch customer service and animal care in and around the barn as requested.
- Knowledge and experience to recognize common equine diseases, conditions, illness, and ailments.
- Ability to properly lunge, ride and otherwise exercise horses in manner that is safe, fair, and ethical to the horse following specific requirements of horse owner or resident trainer. English and Western tacking and riding knowledge a must.
- Ability to delegate, instruct and oversee barn staff and provide detailed instructions for others to follow. Ability to teach less experienced staff the basics of proper and safe equine handling with a hands-on approach.
- Must have excellent management skills, organized and attention to detail. Dependable, strong work ethic, positive attitude, team player and ability to multi-task. Interest in the well-being of horses and supporting a well-functioning facility.
- Experience with operating tractors, ATV, dragging and watering.
- English Speaking essential. Bi-lingual Spanish a plus.
Benefits Available (Medical, Dental, Vision, 401K, Vacation and Holiday Pay)
Possible Housing Option
To apply, forward bio & resume to our email address. Or call for more info.
Visit website here: https://www.alkoequestriancenter.com/
Email Address Hidden
Phone Number Hidden