Lone Mountain Ranch
POSITION: RANCH FOREMAN
Reports to: General Manager
This is not a job about horses; this is a job about people. First and foremost, wranglers at Lone Mountain Ranch must be people persons who are outgoing, engaging, and who genuinely care about people and their western ranch experience. Secondly wranglers at Lone Mountain Ranch must be equestrians. Wrangler days are spent tacking, grooming, cleaning stalls, feeding, doctoring, pruning trails, guiding rides, assisting guests, aiding in overall communication between rider and their animal, and setting up and supervising arena activities. Days are long, physically and mentally taxing, and filled with interesting guest and animal experiences.
• Manage all aspect of LMR horse program with supervision from the Ranch Foreman and General Manager.
• Supervise a wrangler staff of 10-14 persons.
• Assist GM and other department heads in planning guest activities & guest stays.
• Scheduling of wrangling staff, trail rides, guest instruction and all horse related activities.
• With consultation with LMR owners and GM, direct the purchase of horses and development of horse herd.
• Supervise the gathering, feeding, grooming and saddling of horses daily.
• Maintain careful horse records: ride reports, forest usage reports, records on horse bought, sold or leased, etc.
• Direct the maintenance of riding trails, identifying and cutting new trails as needed.
• Oversee the gathering, feeding, grooming, and saddling horses daily.
• Help manage pastures including fence building and maintenance, pasture rotation.
• Supervise staff in maintaining corrals, arena, barns and surrounding areas in a cleanly manner, removing manure in a timely basis.
• Maintain and supervise staff in clearing trails.
• Operate a variety of ranch equipment as needed including skid steer, truck & horse trailer, etc.
• Fixing vehicles and ranch equipment when they do get broken
• Maintain a rapport with guests and help assure a successful stay.
• Must be experienced in teaching basic horsemanship skills, coaching riders and skilled in giving horsemanship clinics, orientations and/or one-on-one instruction as needed.
• Must be experienced in the health maintenance of horses and the care of sick and injured equines.
• Extensive knowledge in horsemanship practices and horse training.
• Minimum of 7 years’ experience working with horses and people, both adults and children.
• Minimum of 5 years’ experience in people management.
• Must have trail riding experience in mountainous and forested areas.
• Must be CPR and First aid certified, or wiling to obtain certification and have a valid driver’s license.
• Must have experience transporting horses in a trailer.
• Must be able to lift 75 pounds.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Excellent western horsemanship & riding skills.
• Must be comfortable in conversing with guests regarding trail-side flora and fauna, wildlife, basic information about the mountains and area geology and natural resources.
• Must present good Western image in dress and behavior at all times.
• Must have a genuine interest in guests and passing along western traditions in keeping with the LMR philosophy.
• Contribute to the overall guest experience by participating in some weekly guest events.
• Help maintain a high level of morale, dedication and pride in good work among all staff members
• Genuinely enjoy helping people, enjoy creating and facilitating positive, uplifting experiences for LMR guests and fellow staff members.
• Patient, understanding and generous to co-workers.
• Radiate optimistic warmth and happiness (kind, thoughtful, with a sense that the glass is always at least half full).
• Strong work ethic and “excellence reflex” (a natural tendency to do something as well as can possibly be done).
• Open-minded, with a keen curiosity to learn.
Note: This document describes the general nature and level of work required of people in the job. It is not intended to be an all-encompassing list of responsibilities, duties, and skills.
Forward bio & resume to:
Email Address: [email protected]
Phone Number: 406-995-4644
Email Address Hidden
Phone Number Hidden