Ranch Property Manager (full-time, interim)
Location: Cle Elum, WA
*Please note the specific applications instructions listed at the bottom of this JD. Those who do not follow the instructions will not be considered for this role.
*Important: At this time, all employees, including temporary and interim, of this property are required to show proof of COVID vaccination. Please do not apply for this position if you are unwilling or unable to do so.
Owners of a ranch in Cle Elum, WA, seek an experienced, hands-on property manager to work for and collaborate with the owners to steward the property as a working hay farm, resilient forest and a place for the owners to welcome family and friends.
The ranch includes: (1,000 acres spread across 3 properties), buildings, ponds and infrastructure currently in place. At this time, this is a full-time position, but interim, as the owners work carefully to craft a clear and progressive vision for the property and new long-term plan including agriculture, forest health, organic vegetable garden, hospitality for family and friends. This will inform the make up of the employees long term and those who will be employed.
The owners are actively involved in all aspects of the ranch and enjoy and expect a positive, communicative relationship with employees, particularly the property manager!
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Oversight and management of the ranch properties: multiple dwellings/buildings, ag land, forests, ponds and related daily goings-on (vendors that are onsite, people/projects that happening in different areas, guests occupying various areas, etc.). Note: there are no livestock on property at this time
- Oversight of vendors/contract activities such as gardens, farm support activities who are on-property
- Planning for and hospitality in support of owner and their guests, as well as any people who are on property (owners, guests, employees, cleaners, etc.). The owners have a home on the ranch, and several other dwelling units are frequently used by guests. The person in this role will be involved in preparing for guests and ensuring things run smoothly while they are on the property.
- Regular and on-going communication with owners and other people affiliated with property-gardener, mowers, etc.
- Additional responsibilities as needed and per request
Note: This is a newly created position, and therefore, open to owner revisions during the search process. The interim role may evolve over time, and any significant changes to the scope of work will be discussed with the person in the role.
Qualities of our ideal candidate:
- Hands-on – strong preference given to candidates who are comfortable operating machinery, using tools, getting hands in the dirt (not farming, but the duties of ranch in keeping the property well maintained and all the systems operating). Manage building systems, repairs, etc.
- Communicator – the owners want to partner will someone who is both a proactive communicator and receptive communicator. Communication should be open and positive, and will be with owners, neighbors, and vendors.
- – – In-person, text, email, and communication skills required
- – – Ability to take direction from owners
- – – Appreciative Inquiry skills are a plus (listening and asking questions)
- Team-player – we will value everything you bring to this role, and appreciate those who are appreciative of others. This is very much a collaborative and supportive team environment
- Resourceful – while we do not expect you know how to fix every that needs fixing, we do expect that you figure out who can or what is needed to accomplish the task.
- Action-oriented – related to ‘resourcefulness,’ the property manager will be a point-of-contact for the ranch, particularly when owners are away, and will be empowered to take action on all matters related to the ranch
- Discretion and Confidentiality – the ranch owners are private individuals and appreciate thoughtfulness and respect around their privacy
Why the position is interim:
This is a newly created position. There are some immediate needs for property support at this time, which calls for opening the position sooner than later.
The ranch owners are excited to be crafting a long-term vision for the land and would like to take time to articulate what this role will look like long-term. If the interim property manager is ultimately interested in the long-term role when it’s finalized, the interim property manager will be asked to interview for the position at that time.
- Minimum 8-10+ years related experience working in a similar role
- For those candidates local to Cle Elum/Ellensburg area, an existing network of trusted, reliable, and discreet vendors/contractors/suppliers will be appreciated. For those candidates not currently local, we do expect you to find your footing in town swiftly and get to know the community
- Hands-on with repairs and handiwork, as needed
- Excellent references from both current and previous employers and/or contracts
- Exceptional organizational skills and dedication to responsibilities
- Flexibility in scheduling (while we anticipate the bulk of the work to happen Monday through Friday, we will appreciate a manger who will be open to schedule flexibility, especially when the owners are away)
- Valid Driver’s License
- Legally able to work in the United States for any employer
- Open to discussion about overall comp, but do expect to commit to a set pay structure and terms for the position
- Housing on-site may be available and could be considered part of the overall comp
- Candidate must pass an extensive background check.
- Professional references will be called
- Candidate will be required to sign a Non Disclosure/ Confidentiality Agreement.
PLEASE READ: In lieu of a formulaic cover letter, please answer the following questions within the body of your email reply, and include your professional resume.
1. Why are you seeking a new position at this time?
2. This is an interim position, with no defined timeline. Do you have any professional or personal commitments on the horizon that will keep your availability for this role limited to a set period of time?
3. Some property management roles are more hands-on than others. We are hoping to find someone who is handy around the property and comfortable doing some labor, at times. Please confirm that this suits you.
4. If you do not currently reside in the Cle Elum area, please share why you are interested in relocating to the area, whether temporarily for this role, or longer-term.
5. Please confirm that you have been or plan to be COVID-vaccinated, which is a requirement for this position. (The employers are unwavering about this)
6. Share something fun or unique about yourself; we’d love to know there is a human being applying for this job!
Thank you for your time reviewing this job description and applying for the job. Due to the volume of responses we receive, we will not be able to acknowledge each application. If we feel you could be a good fit for this position, we will contact you. Please do not contact us multiple times.
Email Address Hidden
To apply, forward bio & resume to our email address. Or call for more info.